Tax Filing for Nonprofit Organizations

by Danielle Bloom

0 min read

While nonprofit organizations do not necessarily have to pay income tax due to their tax-exempt status, it is still mandatory to file annual income tax returns. Contact the Canada Revenue Agency to apply for a tax-exempt status.

Nonprofit organizations file their income tax returns using the T2 Corporation Income Tax Return. This form can be challenging, depending on the complexity of the nonprofit organization. Consider hiring a bookkeeper or an accountant for filing the T2 and for year-round financial assistance. It will alleviate the burden at tax time if the organization’s financial statements are in order and the books have been maintained throughout the fiscal year.

To stay organized throughout the year, use client management software or accounting software to schedule regular budget updates, create and monitor cash flow projects, and ensure that your charity is staying on track.

References & Resources

Related Articles

Four Reasons Why Bookkeepers Are a Money Saver for Your Business

In the initial days of your business operation, you may have taken…

Read more

What is Cash Flow and How Does it Affect Me?

Your business needs a steady supply of cash to operate successfully. It’s…

Read more

How to Track Revenue With Operating Cash Flow

Income can come from a variety of activities, including financing and investments.…

Read more