Snagging your first paid clients can be a challenge. You might think your lack of experience makes you stick out like a sore thumb, but there are things you can do to inspire people to patronize your small business.
- Talk to journalists looking to interview people with your expertise. Being seen on the news or quoted in a major news publication may inspire clients to come knocking on your door.
- Network in your community. Instead of hard-selling your products or services, listen to people and share information that can help them solve a problem.
- Reach out to your competitors. They may have overflow business to send your way.
- Negotiate favorable prices and terms. Things such as deferred payments for goods and services sweeten deals with potential first-time clients.
- Offer top-notch customer service, which sends the message you care about the client’s experience with your company.