Starting A Business While Receiving Social Assistance

by Thom Tracy

0 min read

If you receive government benefits, tax credits or Employment Insurance, you have to meet certain criteria. If you are starting your own business, ensure that your earnings won’t disrupt your benefits. If you are collecting EI due to the loss of a job, you may work and continue to receive benefits, but you must notify the government about your earnings and the number of hours you have worked.

For benefits programs such as the Canada child benefit or the working income tax benefit], the Canada Revenue Agency maintains details on income requirements and thresholds. To ensure your earnings don’t pass the threshold, check the limits on the CRA’s website. Similarly, if you receive local benefits or assistance, speak with the administrators of those programs to ensure you understand how your self-employment income may affect your access to assistance.

References & Resources

Related Articles

Checklist Before Leaving Your Job to Become Your Own Boss

So you’re thinking of quitting your job to become your own boss. In other…

Read more

Get Paid On Time The Complete Guide to Invoices

For freelancers and self-employed people, invoicing is an essential part of your…

Read more

Little Known Tax Refunds and Credits for Your Small Business

As a small business owner or freelancer, you have access to a…

Read more