Accounting Tips: Form a Partnership With Your Spouse

by Craig Anthony

0 min read

If you are married or in a common-law partnership and have more income than your spouse, your spouse will end up paying a relatively low income tax rate while you face a relatively high rate. However, if you split your income between the two of you, that can help to even out your tax rates and lower your family’s overall tax burden.

If you are self-employed, you may effectively split your income by making your spouse a partner. Members of partnerships each report their income separately. For example, you could each report 50% of the earnings, or choose another arrangement such as you report 60% while your spouse reports 40%. However, for this technique to work, you must both be actively involved in the business. You may not split your self-employment income unless you are actually working as partners.

References & Resources

Related Articles

Alternatives to Paying Family Members

In Canada, your income tax rate increases as you report more income.…

Read more

Checklist Before Leaving Your Job to Become Your Own Boss

So you’re thinking of quitting your job to become your own boss. In other…

Read more

Income Splitting Strategies to Reduce Tax Liability

Income splitting is the process of moving income from a high-wage earner…

Read more